The Mark of Athena
Attitude: Some Care Needed → Fairly Positive
Series: Heroes of Olympus
Published in: 2012
Age Range: Pre Teens+
- Percy Jackson must contend with the leadership qualities of his Roman counterpart Jason while struggling to overcome his desire to solve all the problems himself.
- Annabeth is relieved to have found Percy, lost for months, but has to cope with a quest which only she can undertake.
- Jason Grace has the same issues of joint leadership as Percy does plus trying to maintain his newly-formed relationship with Piper.
- Piper feels inadequate as she's neither a warrior nor an engineer like the others on the quest but she is brave and plays her part.
- Leo is the only one of the Seven not to be paired off with another. While he feels closer to his engineering that to other people, his technical know-how save the day more than once.
- Frank and Hazel are feeling their way with a new-found friendship and both exert their respective powers for the sake of the crew.
The joint Greek-Roman crew of the Argo II must sail to Rome to confront Gaia whose plan is to overthrow the Olympian Gods altogether. After a disastrous start when a possessing spirit causes one of them to attack the Roman camp, they escape, pursued by the Romans, and must seek help from Narcissus & Echo, Nemesis, Aphrodite, Icthyocentaurs, Porcyon and Keto before ending up fighting the twin giants Otis and Ephialtes while Annabeth, injured and alone, must take on her mother's old enemy.
Read a précis of the entire story (will contain spoilers)
Monday 8th July 2013